About the program
More Than Words (MTW) is a program for parents of children with difficulties Autism Spectrum Disorder and social communication difficulties (up to 5 years of age). Framed within the needs of children in these populations, this program assists families with understanding their child’s communication abilities. Parents will also learn strategies and receive support with developing their child’s communication, play and imitation skills. Our Hanen-trained Speech Pathologists will collaboratively work with the child’s family, aiming to identify everyday routines and activities where communication and interaction strategies can be used. This program was developed by The Hanen Centre and is recognised around the world as a well-researched intervention approach for early communication development in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. HDST has also enjoyed success with running Hanen’s It Takes Two to Talk program since 2018.
How does it work?
The program runs over approximately 3 months and can be delivered face-to-face at our clinic, or online from the comfort of your own home. The program includes:
- Pre-program consultation – this includes collaboratively setting individualised communication goals, collecting baseline information and videos to compare and track progress.
- 8 x 3 hour evening group training sessions (parents/carers only) – up to 3 key carers are welcome to participate in every group session.
- 3 x 1.5-2 hour 1:1 video feedback training sessions (per carer wanting to participate in video sessions) – conducted at the home, online, or our clinic at a convenient time.
- Free and unlimited email and phone support.
- A written report at the end of the program.
- 1 X 2 hour post program catch up – approximately 2 months after completion.
- The ‘More Than Words’ book (valued at $80).
You will receive over 34 hours of direct consultation hours (valued at $5,100) as well as invaluable skills that will be beneficial throughout your child’s communication journey.
What are the benefits of attending?
- In depth training is provided for multiple parents and carers involved in the child’s care.
- The program prioritises a family centred service delivery model.
- Parents and carers will receive support from the clinician and other parents.
- Parents and carers are able to discuss and share ideas as a group in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
- The program allows dedicated time to focus on helping you most effectively implement strategies throughout your daily routines.
- Parents and carers have time to reflect and evaluate how they are implementing the taught strategies.
- Learning about how the strategies work at all stages of early communication development helps you develop skills in adapting your communication style as your child develops.
- The option of online delivery for this program makes it easier for working parents to develop their skills to support their child from the comfort of their own home and without the added pressure of organising care for your child/children whilst you attend.
- The program utilises a range of materials (e.g. activities, video examples, demonstrations, specific practice activities) to ensure that you can learn the strategies according to your preferred learning style.
How much does it cost to attend?
For more information regarding costs, bookings and funding, please contact us by calling 9054 1996 or emailing email@example.com. Sessions can be funded using NDIS, a Chronic Disease Management plan (individual sessions) and private health insurance.