Download our famous ‘HDST Christmas Advent Calendar‘! It’s jam packed with a range of speech and language tasks you can complete with your children throughout the month of December.
Written Language Task
This is a great opportunity for your child to work on their written expression skills, more specifically, their ability to write a letter. Your child may require some help with planning their letter. The following prompts and suggestions can help them with this task.
- Start by checking in with Santa – ask him about how he is feeling and if his reindeers and elves are helping him.
- Help Santa pick the right gifts for you – use some describing words when talking about the things you like. For example, instead of saying ‘I would like a bike’, you can say ‘I would like a green and black bike with training wheels’
- Think about telling Santa what you’re grateful for too!
Christmas-Themed Word Generation Task
Ask your child to think of as many word as they can beginning with the following sounds! Use the pictures to help get them started.
Expressive & Receptive Language
Expressive Language Task
Ask your child to watch the short video. This is a sneak peak of what some families might do during Christmas. After showing them the video, ask them the following questions:
– What were the children doing?
– Where are they?
– When do you think they are decorating the tree?
– What do you think they will do next?
– Have you done something like this? Tell me about it!
– What are some other things they can do before Santa comes to visit?